The New Zealand Institute of Architects (NZIA) recognises the importance of protecting your privacy. We comply with our obligations under the Privacy Act 1993 with respect to the handling of your personal information, including by taking all reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is secure.
Scope of this policy
Collection of personal information
The main circumstances in which the NZIA collects personal information include, but are not limited to, when you:
- apply for or renew a NZIA membership;
- register for NZIA-related events; and
- use the NZIA website, including the member services section of that website.
More information on the personal information that the NZIA collects in these circumstances, and the potential implications of not providing that information when requested, is provided below.
Collection through NZIA membership
The NZIA collects personal information that you voluntarily give to us when you register for, or attend, NZIA-related events, including conferences. Both NZIA members and non-members may attend certain NZIA-related events.
The type of personal information the NZIA may need to collect could include your name, contact details and credit card details.
Failure to provide such information may result in you being unable to attend the event.
Collection through use of the NZIA website
The NZIA collects personal information that you voluntarily provide when using the NZIA website (including member online discussion forums). This personal information includes your:
- contact details;
- log-in details;
- payment information; and
- continuing professional development (CPD) participation records.
The NZIA may contract with third party organisations to provide services on our website. Those organisations may need to collect personal information about you as part of providing their services to us. To improve our website, the NZIA may also use web analytics tools (including 'cookies') to measure your usage of our website (including your mouse click activity, your IP address, and other personal information that you voluntarily enter into the website).
Please note that if you use the NZIA's online discussion forums, you agree to the terms of this policy and the separate terms and conditions applying to the use of those forums.
Use and disclosure of personal information
The personal information you provide to the NZIA may be used and disclosed by us for the purposes of:
- providing services to NZIA members, including administering the NZIA membership database;
- assessing membership eligibility and benefits;
- promoting NZIA events and services;
- hosting and operating the CPD database on behalf of the New Zealand Registered Architects Board (NZRAB). This requires NZRAB to provide NZIA with access to CPD participation records and for NZIA to enter CPD participation information;
- engaging with government authorities and other professional bodies on matters relating to NZIA members and architecture generally; and
- advancing the objects of the NZIA, as set out in the NZIA Rules (which are available on the NZIA website), and other objects expressly or impliedly agreed with you.
Storage and security
The NZIA will take reasonable steps to ensure the security of personal information that it holds.
Personal information provided by NZIA members as part of their membership and CPD reporting is generally held on a cloud services database, which NZIA employees have access to via a secure log-in.
The NZIA has contractual arrangements with its cloud service provider and its website service providers to protect against unauthorised disclosure of, or access to, information held by those providers.
Other personal information provided to the NZIA may be kept in hard-copy files, or on electronic databases either at the NZIA offices or offsite.
Access to your personal information
You have a right to access personal information that the NZIA holds about you and to request correction of that information.
If you wish to do this, please contact the NZIA's Privacy Officer (see below) setting out your name, contact information, and the details of your request.
How to contact us
NZIA Privacy Officer
p: 09 623 6080